Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Is Fall in the air?

Hello Everyone,

Ok, so maybe it's just a few days of clouds and a slight drop in the crazy heat we have had but, Is Fall in the air? I seems like Summer came on so fast this year and now I am wondering if Fall will come on the same way. I have a son that would be very happy if that was the case. Fall is his favorite time of year. It does kinda give you that warm cozy homey feeling. What's not to love there huh?

I grew up in the outskirts of Sacramento, California, so for what ever reason people there didn't burn leaves in the fall. But I can tell you when we moved to Idaho, those people did. I can still remember the first time I experienced  that incredible smell. There is something so inviting and rustic about it. Sorta makes you want to curl up with a good book and a quilt. (Might I suggest the Elm Creek Quilt Series.) Back then school in California didn't start until later in September so I was still at my grandmas.( We didn't move to Idaho for a few more years.) It was sort of a drag because all my Idaho friends were in school. Boy oh boy was I happy when the last bell rang and I knew everyone would soon be home to play. In that small quiet town you could hear the final bell from my grandma's house. Yippie! I remember asking my friend Helen what that was I was smelling. It's the smell of leaves burning, everyone is cleaning up their yards for winter, duh. Ok, so I had to make her show me. I know that sounds silly, but it was new to me. Here all these years, we just bagged them up and put them in the trash. Who knew if you set them on fire they would smell so good.

Any way, as Fall approaches, my mind takes me back to a quieter gentler time walking with my dear friend Helen, licking a sucker from her dad's Phillip 66 truck where the sucker stick was a loop and the smell of burning leaves in the air. For me and Helen walking hand in hand swinging our arms and licking those suckers smelling those burning leaves in the air with that barest hint of crispness as evening approached........well for us, life just didn't get better than that.

Till next time,
Thimbleina

No comments:

Post a Comment